Aug 17, 2010

I will still shop at Target.

Poor Target.  As I learn to be more critical in my viewpoints, I wanted to do a little (VERY little!) research on the reasoning behind WHY so many people (mostly quite socially liberal, like myself) are boycotting Target.  Here is what I have deduced (hah...deuce). 

Target Corporation (yes everyone, Target is a large business in the business of making money!) donated a large sum of money (something like $150K) to MN Forward.  MN Forward is a bi-partisan organization committed to creating jobs and lowering taxes on businesses.  Target is a business and certainly would support an organization whose agenda includes making them (potentially) more money.  With me so far?

MN Forward endorses Tom Emmer for governor because he supports their agenda more than the DFL candidate, Mark Dayton.  The end. 


Target is NOT anti-equality!  Target is pro-lower business taxes!  Assuming that one issue is even remotely related to the other is erroneous.  It's unfortunate that the candidate supporting lower business taxes is also socially conservative, but that is all there is to say about that.

Target also provides millions of dollars in grant money to local non-profits and organizations promoting education and equality.  A few of the local and national organizations that receive money from Target are:
The Hispanic Scholarship Fund.
The American Red Cross
The United Negro College Fund
Local School Districts
The Minnesota Orchestra and Walker Art Center...

Anyway.  It is possible that I too am uninformed, but it seems to me that Target simply donated money to an organization.  Which they do a lot of.  Lay off Target. 

11 comments:

Paulus Mooreus said...

You cannot parse the reasonings as to why Target gave the money. It is not as if Target gave $150,000 to support pro-business policies. They gave the money to the whole candidates, meaning that money is funding pro-business policies just as much as it is funding anti-equality. I don't care about their reasoning, it's the ultimate effect of their decision that matters.

If you feel as if you can ethically shop at Target, then by all means, that is your right. But for us other social liberals, we will not stand by and have Target use the profits we give them (i.e. our money!) and support candidates who oppress us and our loved ones.

Jamie said...

Sorry...who are you?

Your facts are not correct. They did NOT give the money to the candidate. They gave the money to the organization. The ORGANIZATION supports the candidate.

Paulus Mooreus said...

The money is not going to lobbying for pro-business policies, for instance. The money is going to MN Forward, which supports candidates. Money going to Tom Emmer supports his pro-business ideals just as much as it does his anti-gay and anti-choice ones.

Jamie said...

Did you also notice that MN Forward supports DFL candidates as well?

Paulus Mooreus said...

I did know that, but the gubernatorial race will not only receive the most money, it also has the most implications for us all, obviously.

Jamie said...

My blog...I get the last word. I have no idea who you even are. Go away. I'm not going to argue with you.

Jeffrey said...

Fools rush in.

Jeffrey said...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-Target-Until-They-Cease-Funding-Anti-Gay-Politics/147077835306202?ref=ts

patrick (the other one) said...

I hope your future kids aren't gay. And I hope you feel the same way if the "organization" (as you incorrectly cites) were to give money to a candidate whose "pro-business agenda" also included a view on right to life opposite of yours.

patrick (the other one) said...

You think Target is not anti-equality only because it is YOUR equality which remains intact.

Jamie said...

Selecting a single issue of a candidate, and suggesting that a separate issue is related, is erroneous logic.

I am, quite frankly, appalled that you would generalize my stance on THIS single issue to be indicative of my overall belief in social justice and equality. To make judgments on me as a person, based on a blog post, speaks volumes of your character. We as a society are becoming so tunnel-visioned by single issues that nothing productive is being accomplished.

True, MY individual equality is not threatened by Target giving money to MN Forward. However, do NOT believe that I will be voting for the candidate this organization supports. While I do consider myself quite moderate on economic issues, I can NOT vote for a candidate that does not support social equality. Target IS giving money to an organization supporting a candidate that does NOT endorse my personal politics, however, I can not damn Target for contributing to the organization.

Let's come together and VOTE to keep Tom Emmer out of office...not badger each other on technicalities and minor differences of opinion. Targeting Target is NOT going to get a socially liberal candidate elected...voting together is.